Question

Am I doing it properly?

Hi there,

I'm 26yrs old, 1.53m, and weigh 56.7kg. I'd like to weigh 47kg, and have recently strated going to gym. I do 2 resistance / strength class per week, as well as 2 cardio classes per week. Each class is an hour long.

I eat a bran / high fibre breakast, usually a chicken pasta salad, or nothing for lunch, and either tuna / boiled egg for supper. I started this routine last week, and managed to pick up 0.4kg after the first week, and I've gone back down to 56.7kg - i.e. haven't lost anything.

What should I be doing to lose weight?

Dear Anon
Your present BMI = 24,3 so your weight is already in the normal range. For an ideal BMI of 22, you should weigh 49 kg, thus 8 kg to lose. The fact that you have not yet lost any weight could be due to a number of reasons: a) your weight is already in the normal range which makes weight loss slower, b) the sudden increase in exercise may be building muscle tissue which weighs more than fat tissue c) your diet may be too low in energy so that your body switches off its weight loss systems. I would recommend the following: a) use a balanced energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), instead of the diet you are using at present (this will also prevent you from developing deficiencies), b) stick to your exercise regimen, c) take all your vital measurements once a week to see if you are losing cm which also indicates fat loss even if your weight does not change, d) give your body time to adjust.