Question
Posted by: Karen | 2007/05/14

Am I depressed / unfulfilled?

i've been feeling unhappy for a long time. Stressed about things all the time, even when work wasn't difficult i felt annoyed most of the time by people's demands. I thought i needed a change and finally we moved to another country. which is what i had wanted. but things are still the same and i am in a similar job because that is what i know -- i feel unfulfilled most of my life. i have started a new job but cried every morning for about two weeks in the beginning. then i began to get annoyed again and even the slightest stressful situations toppled me over and i reacted with impatience and even rudeness (not that bad but still it was visible i think). i am beginning to feel like a total failure, like nothing i ever get is good enough for me and i don't know what it is i want --and if i did know i wouldn't have the guts to go after it anyway. my partner has been very supportive but i feel i have been leaning on him too much and i always thought i was an independent person, but i don't feel that way anymore, i feel needy and i can't stand meeting new people cos i am not being myself and i shy away from conversations too. sometimes i'm ok but then that mood hits me and i'm down in the dumps. my partner doesn't know what to say to me then and then i blame him for actually supporting my 'inadequacy' by always sticking by me and supporting my lazyness etc. he doesn't understand it as he says he loves me and obviously i hurt him with my statements. any advice? anyone going through the same?

As you have discovered, the problem with moving to another country when you are feeling bad, is that the bad things are the first thing you unpack on arrival. Geograohy is not therapy. Maybe you are depressed, but anyway i would be wise to see at least a good l;ocal GP, preferably a good local shrink, for a proper full assessment and advice based on the results of that.

5
Posted by: Karen | 2007/05/16

thanks Mike.

Reply to Karen
Posted by: Mike | 2007/05/15

I feel the same way and after 10 years of feeling like this and hurting people around me and not being able to maintain relationships with people I have made the choice to get help.
Being depressed is a medical condition and we need professional help before we destroy oursolves and hurt people that really cared for us.
I ignored my depression and rather focused on my career and making as much money as i could, but i am still unhappy and unfulfilled- i have a good job and everyone who looks at my life would think i am the happiest and very lucky to be where i am in life, i always told myself that i dont need anyone in my life as long as i have money and a succesful career i would be okay. Well i have that now and it just does not make me happy or a better person (im dying inside because of ignoring my depression).
Make a choice to fix things before its to late.

Reply to Mike
Posted by: Karen | 2007/05/14

yes i thought that i wanted to go away. But maybe i just wanted to go away by myself, rather than with everything along with it. but then i feel like i'm just running away -- something my dad always did. so ... dammit.

Reply to Karen
Posted by: Karen | 2007/05/14

yes, i read once: wherever you go you will only meet yourself there. and it's true.

Reply to Karen
Posted by: Me | 2007/05/14

I know what u are going thru, am going through it myself. I was overseas for a short period for work purposes. While I was there I felt like I could conquer the world. I made all the plans to change my life, I have been back for 6 months and I am feeling worst than I did before I left. I am once again planning to go away for two years this time. I know deep down that as CB said that geography is not therapy but I want to go anyway. It is not easy but for now thats what I feel like doing.

Reply to Me