Question
Posted by: Stevie de Wit | 2008/01/15

Am I deficient in vitamin D?

I moved to London 2 years ago and work indoors so never see the sunshine. I don't drink milk either. Im suffering from cramps & pins and needles in my hands and feet, could that be from Vit D deficiency? Is it tetany?! Would Cod Liver Oil supplements be good for me to take? Thanks alot

Dear Stevie
It is a pity that you can't expose your skin to the sun for at least 20 min a day as this would produce sufficient vit D to meet all your needs. You can check other foods such as margarine to see if the UK versions don't contain some vit D. If you don't drink milk or take a calcium supplement, then your symptoms may be due to a calcium deficiency rather than a vit D deficiency. I would rather not recommend cod liver oil supplements as they contain such potent levels of both vitamins A and D. If these two fat-soluble vitamins are taken in excess, they can cause hypervitaminosis A and/or D, which is some cases can cause irreversible damage. If you don't drink milk or eat yoghurt and cheeses, then please take a calcium supplement and ask the pharmacist to recommend a UK supplement that also contains some vit D.