Question
Posted by: Kizzy | 2004/03/10

am i being stupid?

i have a question. im 17 and have had unprotected sex with numerous amounts of men. now i have a boyfriend who im very serious with and may want a baby soon but im too scared to go to a doctor to see whether i have an std or whether i am infertile! please help

If you have had sex with many men, you are at risk for STDs and it would be very wise to have this checked before it causes permanent damage.

4
Posted by: Mommy | 2004/03/11

Stupid isn't quite the correct word, I'd say... in love, maybe??!!

Its great that you've found a guy that makes you happy and with whom you want to settle down.

I got married at 22 and had my babies at 28 and 32, so obviously I don't think its a good idea to have a baby soon. Still your choice though, but PLEASE see a gynae about STDs and a PAP smear asap and especially before you fall pregnant.

Also have protected sex (with a condom) for a while until your AND your boyfriend's tests for STDs are available. You are also putting him at risk, not only yourself.

Good luck!

Reply to Mommy
Posted by: Norma | 2004/03/11

Well, I think it is a bit stupid for a 17year old to want a baby, but that's your choice...... please give this some more time, you are still very young and you have so much to do with your life.

If you are sexually active you should go and see a gynea anyway, you have to go for your check-ups every year.

If I may ask , how old is your boyfriend and does he want a baby too?

Reply to Norma
Posted by: Wendy | 2004/03/11

Kizzy

First of all I have to agree with flower. I had a child at 17, don't be silly, you are far to young to be thinking of kids just yet. Enjoy your life, get married, sort out your career and worry about kids when you get to your middle twenties. I'm now 24 and pregnant with our second and what a different experience now that I am older and wiser. To have a child when you are so young puts a ton of strain on you and your relationship with your boyfriend and puts your career life way behind. You can't finish your studies and to move up in your career is that much harder because of it. I've been lucky and managed to prove myself, have a good job and a good salary but I know alot of girls that aren't so lucky. I love my son dearly who is now 6 but I know I could have provided better for him and have been a much better mom had I had him later.

You do need to see a gynae however and have a papsmear as well as the normal tests for STD's. As for being infertile you won't really know this until you try for a child but if you are having regular periods you are likely to be fertile.

Reply to Wendy
Posted by: flower | 2004/03/11

yes you are being stupid, no 17 year old should be planning to have a baby!!!!!!!!

Reply to flower