Question
Posted by: Trev | 2007/03/14

Am I been pushed out of a job??

I work for an international company that has recently launched in South Africa. I am one of two senior managers in our head office which has only 2 outlets to date with another 38 outlets to be rolled out within 5 years. Our Major investor has recently sold a majorty of his shares to 2 new investors who have come on board as active members since the beginning of 2007. The company sent me to Dubai and the States for training and when i was interviewed i was assured by the Director of the company that i would recieve a increase in my salary per shop for the first 5 shops, my petrol would be a benefit with a petrol card, my cellhone would be covered in full, i would be sent on business courses (paid by the company) and i would recieve medical aid at the beginning of 2007. i have been with the company for 8 months now. My problem is this:

My initial contract with the company expired in October 2006, i have not been issued with a new contract, nor has any of the above promised benefits (except for petrol&cellphone) have been implemented to date. I have done my research and have established that a verbal contract is as strong as a writen contract. I have also approached the Director and Investors to review my salary and benefits and it has been 2 months since i submitted my request. I purchased a reliable vehicle based on the fact that i would recieve an increase for the first shop. Now we have opened 2 outlets with another 3 within the next 3 weeks. When doing my research, i established that the only route to take as far as a complaint is concerned is a seriuos route of which i am not prepared to follow.

What can i do to professionally address this problem. I love my job and believe that this company is going to be a market leader in South Africa and how can i walk away from this oppurtunity? I feel that it is important for the company to look after me as i am the only one on the Country who has full knowledge of the concept launched in South Africa. I feel that the company is trying to push me out or there is a problem within the company. Do i start looking for another job or should i give the investors one last chance to review my job discription, salary and benefits. Please help!!??

Expert ImageExecutive coach

Hi Trev

This is indeed a complex and serious issue. I do suggest that you work with someone on this issue. In brief let me say this: you need to create a context whereby you can have a powerful and authentic conversation with your bosses around the incomplete issues. This is the only way you will find a way out of the quagmire. Claim your power and step out of fear. Get the support and real-time guidance that you need.

All the best

Jonti