Question
Posted by: Tweezer | 2005/11/21

am i an "obsessive compulsive" tweezer?

i asked cyberdoc this last week & said i should contact you. atthe end he asked me a question & it has 'invaded' my life - i find myself pulling out hair (on my neck) everywhere; at work while im at my desk & in the bathroom, in the car, while watching tv & i dont even need a tweezer at times - i just use my fingernails.

help? any advise?

Subject: am i an "obsessive compulsive" tweezer?
Posted by: Tweezer
Message:

i just wanted to know if i might have a problem & what steps can i take to control it. Whenever i shave (most times) i get ingrown hairs which sometimes are painful. the thing sis that i end up pulling them out & once i start i cant seem to stop, if i do i end up going back a few mins later to 'finish' off what i started & most times i just end up pulling out the hairs that arent even bothering me (usually on my neck mainly on the left side) & when its a tough one i end up rejoycing & thinking that the pain was worth it.
ive noticed that it wasnt an issue for me before (ive been tweezing for yrs) BUT for the past few months i just cant seem to stop once i start.
please help me out / offer me some advise.

Many thanx in advance!!!!
Date: 17/11/2005

Subject:
Posted by: CyberDoc
Message:
Tweezer, this sounds more like a question for CyberShrink than for me. It sounds like you’re a bit obsessive about the whole thing, but if it doesn’t affect your day to day living, I suppose it isn’t that serious. Why don’t you drop CyberShrink a line and see what he has to say? Good luck.
Date: 18/11/2005

There is, from the sound of it, an obsessive element to this bad habit --- and that's surely what it primarily is, a bad habit, like biting one's nails ; and a psychologist can help one to control that. Related to the skin itself, and a dermatologist / skin specialist could help here, is that many men, especially black men ( because of the shape of their individual strands of hair ) may have a treatable problem with the beard hair, which may curl back into the skin abnd cause a irritating bump, a condition called Sycosis Barbae.

1
Posted by: Dee | 2005/11/21

I have a cousin who started out just like you - tweezing the odd hair here and there and then it did become a compulsion. After her mom passed away - then it blew up into a serious OCD - she now only has patches of hair and has not admitted it to anybody - she has fobbed it off as a vitamin deficiency and that she has this or that skin condition, but I watched her one evening as we were watching TV and she was actualy pulling her hair out strand by strand with her fingers,
I read up about it and there is a condition called Trichotillomania - where people pull their hair out to satisfy an underlying psychological issue. There are plenty of support groups and lots of help for this.
If you think this is it - I suggest you get the help.
Good LUck!

Reply to Dee