Question
Posted by: HM | 2004/01/21

Am I a Hypochondriac or depressed? confused.

I'm a 20 year old student who started studying last year. I've always been so in control and joyfull but somehow i recently lost complete touch with myself. I dont undertand, i don't want to see people, i'm affraid i've forgotten how to enjoy myself i cry and dont seem to come to any real sollution, this has gone on for the entire year. I thought i was just stressed and hoped i'd be better after christmas, but it's worse, i haven't had my period for 3 months, i have disturebed sleep, get nervous when out of the house and and i've lost my appetite, I just feel like life is worthlessand i'm so disconnected from everything. I have this constant haunting fear. I have tried to help myself, read books, articles, taken st Jhon's wort and exersize regularly, i also have healthy diet and don't drink exesively. I used to smoke alot of dope and take drugs but i've been clean for almost 2 years. I feel like i keep bumping my head against the same wall, i want to learn from this but i just don't know how, can you help?

Dear HM,
Well, this really sounds very like Depression, but the best course of action is to see a psychiatrist personally ( perhaps reachable through Student Health ?) for a proper assessment and specific advice. St Johns Wort is only mild in its effects, so doesn't tell us how you would respond to a proper antidepressant, which could be highly effective. And in herapy with a proper shrink, you'd have a much better chance of learning from this experience and avoiding further episodes, as well as losing these tiresome symptoms. Depression, stress and anxiety all can lead to a temporary stopping of periods. It sounds like you're doing most other things right ( and maybe righter than most of us !) so adding in what might be only a rather short period of therapy could make a major difference.