Question
Posted by: Mary | 2007/06/08

Alzheimers or depression?

I am 59 and for the last 10 years been going through a really hard time - lost my home, one son is a cocaine addict, the other son told me he is gay, menopause, a couple of years ago my year old grandson was left with me and although I love him to bits I am finding it really hard going to work and looking after a small child. Get the idea?
I am now forgetting things, muddling up words when speaking, keep making stupid mistakes at work and home, find myself crying for no reason, loosing my temper over minor issues. I am just not coping anymore, cant concentrate and everything is a mess.
Do you think this is the onset of Alzheimers or just stress and depression?

Sorry to hear about this, Mary --- you have indeed been through tough times. Who left the grandson with you, and why ? Can't they take responsibility for their own child ? Depression sounds like a likely explanation for the symptoms you describe, more likely than Alzheimers. and it would be wise to see a good local shrink or at least GP, for an asessment of this and a trial of treatmnt, with AD mediation and/or CBT counselling if available locally.

1
Posted by: RMC | 2007/06/08

I think you need to go speak to your doc as there are many factors to consider. What you are going through is enough to make anyone stresesd out and depressed.

Reply to RMC