Posted by: Jordan | 2003/12/17


My dad has been diagnosed with Alzheimers about five years ago. Since then his conditions has deteriorated alot. My mother has been taking care of him, but having to work full time while taking care of my dad is becoming increasingly more difficult and stressful.

Unfortunately she will not be able to stop working as this will not be financially possible. He is becoming increasingly agressive and there have been times were he has been violent with my mother. His condition has deterioted to such extend that he cannot have a conversation anymore, he gets into arguments with complete strangers and is becoming a danger to himself. He does not look after his personal hygiene anymore and has a tendency to wander off.

He was placed in a old age home but was sent back because of his agressive nature.

I do not think my mother will be able to look after him much longer. Please can you give us some advice as to what to do keeping in mind that we do have extreme financial contraints.


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Dear Jordan,
yes, it's a shame that so many Old age Homes only want to cae for people who hardly need any care, and give up when someon really needs their services. Depending on financial constraints, one could have him see either a private specialist ( perhaps a Neurologist or Psychiatrist, especially if there's one who specializes in problems of the elderly ) or otherwise call and speak to the Depts of Neurology & Psychiatry of your nearest Medical School, and ask for their advice, and an appointment for them to see him.
In this situation he may be negative about treatment or institutions, but in advancing Alzheimers, and a potential danger to himself and others, he could be compulsorily detained in any hospital able to care properly for him. With proper medication ( some of it not necessarily expensive ) the aggression can be greatly reduced or relieved.
This is a sad situation, as in some ways the person you loved is already dead, and who one now meets is rather a stranger, having already lost much of his usual personality and behaviours. People who have not gone through such experiences, rarely realize how sad, frustrating and exhausting it can be.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Clueless | 2003/12/19

What kind of a desease is this?I havent a clue.

Reply to Clueless
Posted by: mo | 2003/12/18

I fill for you. But unfortunately it gets whirrs this is just beginning of the effect of the disease I would recommend for him to hospitalithed and when I say this do take it wrong way it is for his and your best there are cases where a patient does not recognize his family and becomes violent in some cases it is fatal.

Reply to mo

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.