Question
Posted by: ems | 2006/04/06

alzheimer test

i heard that a gene test exist to examine the possiblitity that you might develop alzheimer in your life. Could you give more info on this. Is there any precautionary vitamines etc. that can be taken to prevent alzheimer?

I don't think this is yet an established, reliable and available test --- at least, not as far as I've heard, in SA. Although the relevance of specific genes is being explored, no single widely agreed cause has yet been identified. And though the sellers of ginko biloba may want us to believe it has preventive powers, there is NO good evidence to support that suggestion. Unfortunately, it's not hard for commercial enterprizes to find a "medical professional" to make enthusiastic noises about new products, not necessarily based on fine scientific evidence

3
Posted by: Clueless. | 2006/04/06

Great. We've firmly established that there IS such a test... And don't forget to take your GB's everyone! ;-)

Reply to Clueless.
Posted by: mee | 2006/04/06

For one quite large doses of ginko biloba has been found to prevent alzheimers ......attended a breakfast function and remember a medical professional talking about the studies done in this regard. There have been genes identified in AD, and specific tests for gene mutations such as APP, PS1, PS2 and alles (such as APOE) are available.

Reply to mee
Posted by: Clueless. | 2006/04/06

I'm sorry? What did you ask again? Just kidding, you should be at CyberDoc's domain with questions like these ne? My doc (although I'm not his patient), is just an old shrink.

Reply to Clueless.