Question
Posted by: Judy | 2004/02/06

Always tired

I sleep well at night but still wake up tired in the morning and by afternoon I cannot keep my eyes open and have to sleep. I have had every medical test under the sun and all is normal. Is there maybe foodstuff that is causing this.I am 41 years old but have had this problem since my teen years. I am desperate, any ideas?

Expert ImageNatural health

Hello Judy

What you eat or even what you are not eating could cause this type of problem. Please see the articles below to determine what it is you are lacking. A balanced diet and one devoid of stimulants such as caffeine, sugar and refined white flour products will be to your advantage. Take Bio-Strath three times a day long term to further help you. Keep the blood sugar level constant as a fluctuating sugar level can lead to this type of problem as well. Exercise is very important as well as it improves circulation and oxygen etc....

Kind regards.

Estie

HYPOGLYCAEMIA / LOW BLOOD SUGAR

Blood glucose level is kept within a narrow range of variation by various hormones which respond rapidly to even slight changes. When a defect in the carbohydrate metabolism allows the level to go lower than normal, low blood sugar, or hypoglycaemia occurs with the following symptoms:

Do you suffer from?

• Nervousness, irritability, emotional problems, anxiety, fatigue, depression, indecisiveness, crying spells, cravings for sugar, sweets, fizzy drinks

• Poor concentration

• Cold sweats

• Shakes when hungry

• Palpitations

• Dizziness, tingling sensation on scalp and skin

• Trembling sensation

• Blurred vision

• Cold extremities

• Nausea

• Flatulence

• Tiredness at 10 / 11 am

• Tiredness at 3 / 4 pm

• Allergies

• Convulsions

• Hyperactivity

• Low blood pressure

All these symptoms come and go depending on whether the person is hungry, or what they may have eaten. Most of these symptoms are improved by eating.

Useful Information:

1. Hypoglycaemia can be brought on by the daily eating of excess sugar, sweets, biscuits, fizzy drinks, dried fruits, fruit juices and refined white flour products.

2. Stress situations can cause adrenal gland exhaustion which can induce hypoglycaemia.

3. A diet which contains high levels of stimulants such as caffeine, nicotine or alcohol can also cause adrenal exhaustion resulting in hypoglycaemia.

4. Depleted levels of Vitamin B’s and C’s due to poor diet or stress will result in hypoglycaemia. Daily intake of Bio-Strath is recommended to restore balance.

5. Overeating: This will put a strain on the pancreas to assist with digestive processes, leading to imbalances of insulin levels, resulting in hypoglycaemia, especially if refined carbohydrates makes up the bulk of the meal.

6. Alcoholism: Pancreatic function is often impaired due to alcoholic lifestyles resulting in poor digestion which in turn results in fluctuating blood sugar levels.

7. Pregnancy places increased demands on the metabolism of nutrients for mother and baby. A diet of sugary foods or refined carbohydrates can easily cause an expectant mother to plummet into a low blood sugar state.
``
8. If the liver is damaged due to disease or lifestyle habits, low blood sugar often results.

9. A low thyroid function can be part of the cause of low blood sugar.

10. A diseased pancreas will lead to fluctuating blood sugar levels.

11. Pituitary gland disorders will contribute to blood sugar fluctuations as is well known by many head injury patients.

Did you know?

• In modern society hypoglycaemia has become one of the most widespread disorders of the day. Why? Lifestyle habits and choices lie at the root of this condition which cannot be called a disease. At best, hypoglycaemia is a symptom of many possible causes.

• Hypoglycaemia is often misdiagnosed as anxiety disorder, hyperactivity, ADD, etc.

• To understand hypoglycaemia, it is necessary to understand a little about glucose metabolism
- The body needs readily available glucose to function
- It defines this energy from food in the form of carbohydrates
- In the process of digestion, carbohydrates or starch is converted to its simplest denominator; glucose.
- Glucose is necessary for all bodily function.
- Glucose is especially important in the normal functioning of the brain and central nervous system.
- The nervous system reacts drastically to abnormal levels of blood glucose levels.

• How is the blood glucose levels controlled?
- The pancreas releases insulin, a hormone which controls the levels of glucose or sugar in the blood.
- Excess blood sugar is stored in the liver for future use as glycogen.
- Excess blood sugar is also stored in the body as fat for future use

• Under severe stress excessive cortisol levels will interfere with the correct secretions of insulin, which will result in imbalances of blood sugar levels.

• If blood sugar levels rise too rapidly, like for example, when a lot of sugar or refined foods are eaten, the body responds with a burst of insulin as it regards the situation as very dangerous. The body also begins to convert the elevated sugar into fructose and sorbitol. Excess sorbitol has been linked to the formation of cataracts, nerve damage, kidney damage and lowered oxygen levels in the body.

• Hypoglycaemia can be called a predictable condition. The body can very easily swing from hypoglycaemia to hyperglycaemia.

• A diet high in refined foods which have been stripped of fibre and protein is a prescription for blood sugar disorders. These foods are readily absorbed into the bloodstream causing the pancreas to become sensitive in the long run due to the continuous stimulation to produce insulin. This in turn results in over-stimulated adrenal glands as the shock of rapidly rising and falling blood sugar levels places the body in shock. The typical blood sugar low of faintness, sweating, trembling and exhaustion repeats itself over and over.

• Remember that all sugars can lead to hypoglycaemia. This includes excessive use of honey, fruit, dried fruit, and fruit juices.

• Stimulants such as coffee will contribute to adrenal exhaustion and liver disorders, which all contribute to a hypoglycaemic state.

• A glucose tolerance test will help to diagnose this condition. Get the necessary information from your doctor.

• The attached diet sheet will provide very useful information to people suffering from this condition. Remember to eat regular small meals to avoid a drop in blood sugar levels.

Some useful advice from Dr Vogel

Molkosan has helped a great deal in this struggle. If you want to assist the digestion, add a teaspoon of Molkosan to a glass of mineral water and drink this at mealtimes. Of course, you do not have to take mineral water, ordinary filtered water will do just as well.

Regular use of Molkosan will lower the blood sugar levels and, at the same time, reduce the quantity of sugar in the urine. Of course, an appropriate natural diet must be observed too. A little patience is necessary, but after several weeks a positive change for the better will be noticed.

Having an efficient pancreas is important to obese people, as this gland influences the fat metabolism. Regular use of Molkosan will slowly reduce excess weight, especially if Kelpesan tablets are taken at the same time. This does not mean, however, that people who are underweight will have to avoid taking whey concentrate, for it regulates the metabolism rather than having a specific catabolic effect. So both underweight and overweight persons will benefit. In short, Molkosan makes for better assimilation of food.

Molkosan can be applied externally with the same success as when it is used internally. It has proved to be more valuable in the treatment of pimples, eczema and cradle cap than many more expensive preparations. For the most part, eczema can be treated by dabbing on undiluted whey concentrate. In cases of skin impurities and blemishes fine results are achieved if Molkosan is both taken internally and applied externally. Where athlete’s foot and nail mould have not yet yielded to any other remedy, Molkosan will give quick and reliable relief. Just soak some absorbent cotton in it, bind this on the affected part and leave it on overnight. Dr Devrient of Berlin has confirmed that no other remedy for mycotic diseases is quicker and more reliable than Molkosan why concentrate. When used to clean minor wounds, scratches and cuts, it is a first-class antiseptic.

Summary

Hypoglycaemia is a serious condition which should be properly diagnosed by having a blood glucose tolerance test. Fluctuating blood sugar levels have been associated with a significant proportion of physical, mental and emotional disorders. Once the pancreas has become sugar sensitive, it is a lifelong effort to maintain a normal blood sugar level. A cure of this condition is hardly lasting. Lifestyle management is crucial to treat and prevent blood sugar disorders. Moderation is the key.

All products are available from Pharmacies and Health Stores

For more information please contact:
SA Natural Products (Pty) Ltd
P.O. Box 2
Botha’s Hill, KZN, 3660

Customer Care lines:
Tel: 031 7838000
Fax : 031 7838080
info@sanatural.co.za

This leaflet is not intended as a medical diagnosis, and in no way excludes the necessity of a diagnosis from a health practitioner. Its intent is solely informational and educational.

Healthy Nutrition

Health begins with good nutrition, but how are we to decide what is good and what is not in the face of so much consumer health advice? The first thing to remember is that each of us is unique, with unique nutritional needs. A lifestyle and diet that benefits one person may not necessarily benefit another; there is no such thing as a single correct diet. But is there a universal guideline we can adhere to? Perhaps one: wholefoods – in as close to their natural state as possible. Having undergone minimal, if any, processing, wholefoods are without exception, more nutritious than refined foods. We are not able to improve the quality of food by exposing it to a process. We don’t have any processes that can add life to anything; we can only take life out of things. The fewer steps the original food type has gone through, the more nutrition is left in it. After all, we evolved in harmony with our environment, where the process of eating and digesting became compatible with available food, which consisted of specific balanced combinations of nutrients. The process of refining and processing food changes the balance of nutrients, and thereby compromises its nutritional value.

The following recommended diet is intended only as a guideline. Above all, learn to listen to your body’s response to the different foods you eat, and develop your own healthy nutritional plan!

Breakfast:

 Rice cakes/Rye Vita with cottage cheese/avocado OR
 Freshly cut seasonal fruit OR
 Oats (preferably rolled) OR
 Mealie-meal porridge OR
 Maltabella (preferably stone-ground) OR
 Millet porridge (cook on stove for about 40 minutes in a stainless steel cooking pot with water and salt)

Add to cooked, cooled porridge the following:
 A drop of honey, half a teaspoon of unsalted butter and one teaspoon of each of the following:
 Raw sunflower seeds
 Raw sesame seeds
 Raw linseeds
 Raw almonds (chopped)
 Raw pumpkinseeds (crushed or ground in coffee grinder). This seed/nut mixture should be added to a fruit salad or to cottage cheese spread on rice cakes)

Snacks or light meals:

 Rice cakes and/or Rye Vita biscuits with any of the following: avocado pear, feta cheese, tomato, sardines, cucumber, tuna, Marmite or honey OR
 Fresh fruit: eat fruit by itself or in-between meals OR
 Figs and cashews/macadamias/pecans/un-sulphured dried fruit/dates/almonds

Lunch and supper:

 VEGETARIAN: fresh tofu, soya mince and frozen soya products
 FISH: Steamed, grilled or baked – not fried! Served with lemon butter and herbal salt
 LAMB: stewed, grilled or baked – not fried!
 FREE RANGE CHICKEN : – baked, grilled, steamed or stir-fried

• Serve any of the above with brown rice, or Basmati Rice, lentils, barley or dried beans (cook well on stove in a stainless steel cooking pot with water and salt)
• Fresh vegetables should be eaten at least twice a day

• All vegetables should be steamed, baked, grilled or served raw – not fried! Flavour with herbs, and/or A Vogel’s Plantaforce, Herbamare or Kelpamare

• SOUPS can be made with any of the above

Recommended dairy products:

 Cottage cheese
 Feta cheese
 Unsalted butter
 Maas
 Organic milk in moderation

For salad dressing:

Cold pressed oil (preferably virgin olive oil) mixed with:
 Fresh lemon juice
 Garlic
 Ground black pepper
 Herbamare
 Kelpamare

Healthy tips:

Use honey sparingly. Have no more than two cups of the following teas a day – Rooibos, fennel, fruit, chamomile, peppermint, green. Remember to drink water and avoid drinking fruit juices; rather eat fresh fruit.

Avoid all:

Processed and refined wheat products, pork, cold meats, beef, battery eggs, milk, yoghurt, yellow cheese, alcohol, coffee, tea, sugar, processed fruit juices, reheated foods, fried foods, microwaved foods and homogenised milk.

Do have:
 Raw honey
 Rye bread
 Soya milk/rice milk/oat milk
 Water
 Carob
 Bambu
 Popcorn

Instead of:
 Brown/white sugar
 Whole wheat/white bread
 Cow’s milk
 Fruit juices/carbonated fizzy drinks
 Chocolate
 Coffee
 Potato crisps

Always drink:

2 litres of water a day to ensure the complete hydration of every cell in your body.

For more information please contact:

SA Natural Products (Pty) Ltd
P.O. Box 2
Botha’s Hill, KZN, 3660

Customer Care lines:
Tel: 031 7838000
Fax : 031 7838080
info@sanatural.co.za

2
Posted by: tired | 2004/02/18

Not only am I tired ALL THE TIME, I get headaches as well. Added to that my arms, legs and feet ache. I'm in pain all over and always. And these headaches my gosh!!!

I keep away from junk food. I eat home cooked meals at least three times a day. Fruits and veggies every now and then. Litres and litres of water EVERYDAY!!!

I will admit that I have stress in my life. But I'm doing something about it. I talk about it. Right now as I type this to you I have a headache AND a stamoch ache. My skin is oiler than usual. My nails have lost their shine. I'm having a bad hair LIFE!!!!

Yes I smoke - four a day. I do drink - but I have cut down. I sleep eight or more hours but I still wake up tired. I wake up in the middle of the night. If I should be lucky to sleep without waking up, you can be sure that there was a lot of tossing and turning happening there...

help

Reply to tired
Posted by: tired | 2004/02/18

help

Reply to tired