Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2008/05/21

Always Hungry

I am very worried about my 23 old daughter who is living with me, her height is 1.61 and she weights 70kg. She knows she is overweight but the minute we say something she gets upset. She also told me that she always feels hungry and she gets really bad graving and if she does not satisfy them she will eat anything she finds. I have tried to speak her nicely but it does not seem to help. Having a burger for breakfast does not seem to faze her. I really do not know which way to turn anymore.

Please advice

Concerned

Dear Concerned
Your daughter's present BMI = 27 which is in the overweight range, so it would be good if she could lose some weight. If she can reduce her weight to 62 kg she would be nicely back in the normal range. Encourage her to seek professional help. Firstly she needs to have a medical examination to see if she has an underlying physical condition that is causing all these cravings (e.g. insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes, etc). At the same time she could be suffering from psychological problems, which drive her to seek comfort in food. If the latter should apply then she needs to see a clinical psychologist to help her learn better coping methods. If the dr identifies conditions such as insulin resistance (IR) then it is essential for her to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take her IR, and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for her, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and download the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help your daughter to improve her insulin and glucose levels. She should start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) as soon as possible.

1
Posted by: Concerned | 2008/05/21

Thank you very much

Reply to Concerned