Question
Posted by: Joan | 2004/10/13

Always hungry

My typical days eating is as follows:
06h20 – Bran flakes with milk or Meusli and yoghurt or toast
and a cup of hot water with lemon juice in it.
By 08h30 I am already feeling hungry again and snack on an apple
10h30 a sandwich or roll with ham or salmon etc
11h00 a chocolate
12h00 sometimes another sandwich or rice cakes
13h30 I am again feeling hungry and start snacking on anything that is around the house sometimes fruit, sometimes bad things. Nothing curbs the pangs though.
18h30 is mealtime and we sit and eat a proper meal with vegetables, potatoes or pasta meat or fish
I try to drink as much water as possible during the day, sometimes I will have a cold drink or flavoured water or rooibos with lemon juice (no sugar). I may have a little glass of red wine at night.
I feel that I eat a lot, more than most and I am still always hungry. I don’t have a weight problem 65kg – 1,7m tall ( I could probably afford to loose a few kilos), but I am afraid that as I get older and my metabolism slows down I will pick up weight. My mom and her sisters are quite large and I don’t want to end up that way. I run 4km per day 5 days a week to help. What I would like to know is what can I change to make me feel fuller and help me cut out the unnecessary snacking, as I am quite sure that is where my problem lays.
Joan

Dear Joan
Your present BMI = 22,5 which is ideal for your height, so I don't think you need to lose any more weight. I think that you are possibly not eating sufficient foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Foods with a low GI keep your blood glucose and insulin levels more stable and lower for longer periods thus preventing hunger pangs. For example, your breakfast does not contain sufficient low GI foods (only the milk and possibly the museli - it depends on which one you use). If you are not using 100% rye bread or seed loaf for the sandwiches they will not sustain you for long. The rice cakes also have a high GI and will make you hungry rapdily. I would either advise you to consult clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area). She/he will work out a diet based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI), or you can try using low GI foods by yourself (click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI). You can find more info on the GI at: www. gifoundation.com
I also think that your liquid intake is excessive., which can have a negative effect on the mineral balance in the body. Generally speaking adults need about 2.5 litres of liquid a day. If you drink too much liquid you can wash important minerals like calcium, potassium, magnesium and sodium out of your body and create electrolyte imbalances.

1
Posted by: Maryna | 2004/10/14

I am a 26 year old lady, I never eaten as much as I am resently doing. I can't stop eating. I will eat all day long and still feel hungry. I have tried all kinds of diet pills (eatless dempers), but it gives me heart beats and I'm not feeling good when I am using it. It also make me moody.

Please help me or just tell me what tablets must I use.

Reply to Maryna