Question
Posted by: KK | 2007/11/26

Alternative to Salt

Good day DietDoc,

I've recently been diagnosed with high blood pressure (last reading was 150/100).

The Doctor told me that I would need to change my diet and eating habits, as well as cut our excessive salt intake.

What can be used instead of salt for healthy eating?

Dear KK
You can buy sodium-free salt at most health shops and also use pepper, herbs, lemon juice and vinegar, to add taste to your foods. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Food as medicine' and 'Hypertension' and read about the DASH Diet which was developed in the USA to lower bp. You could apply these principles to your diet to lower your bp.