Question
Posted by: Gina | 2004/10/20

Alternative removal of Fibroid/myom, than a hysterectomy

The doctor has identified a fibroid/myom. She has indicated that I should have a hysterectomy. Is there not an alternative to a hysterectomy? I would like to make use of alternative method in getting rid of this 'thing' growing in me. Is there not another doctor that I can approach in Johannesburg/Pretoria. I need your advice urgently.

An alternative would be a myomectomy - removal of the fibroid only. This is much more difficult and depends on the size of the fribroid and how much it has grown into the muscle of the womb. Even if this were a possibility, there is always a chance that your doctor might have to proceed to a hysterectomy, as there could be excessive bleeding with this form of operation.