Posted by: Gina | 2004/10/20

Alternative removal of Fibroid/myom, than a hysterectomy

The doctor has identified a fibroid/myom. She has indicated that I should have a hysterectomy. Is there not an alternative to a hysterectomy? I would like to make use of alternative method in getting rid of this 'thing' growing in me. Is there not another doctor that I can approach in Johannesburg/Pretoria. I need your advice urgently.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

An alternative would be a myomectomy - removal of the fibroid only. This is much more difficult and depends on the size of the fribroid and how much it has grown into the muscle of the womb. Even if this were a possibility, there is always a chance that your doctor might have to proceed to a hysterectomy, as there could be excessive bleeding with this form of operation.

Best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.