Question
Posted by: Joey | 2005/12/15

Alternative methods of alleviating sports injuries

Hi Doc,

Thank you for your response to my previous enquiry on ITB.
I went to physio for my ITB. She used acupuncture needles and strappings(she also used "impulses" equipment among others). I am not sure maybe it is psychological but it seems the pain is diminishing.What I want to find out is how acupuncture and strapping work wrt ITB. Both of them do not have any chemical stimulation to the pain as most of us know that "chemicals" such as anti-inflammatory salfs some how help in alleviating these pains. How often can a person use the straps when running, do they have any negative effect on prolonged usage? If not can they be found at pharmacies?
Another thing, do you think I can now go back to my races already?

Thanks,
Joey

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Joey
Acupuncture is thought to work via the stimulation of endorphin release which have a similar effect to opioids. Opioids cause pain relief.
Strapping optimizes your position and redistributes tension around a tendon. It can be used as often as you wish, bearing in mind that most strapping will shift to some degree during running. Some of the large pharmacies may carry them. If not an orthoptist should.(These are specialists in braces, etc and have a wide variety of accoutrements.)
I'm presuming that you have already started training again. Increase your training weekly until you are able to do your competition distance relatively pain free and comfortably, before attempting your first race.
ATB
Dr P