Question
Posted by: Cathy | 2007/04/25

Alternative meals for dogs

I feed my 3 dogs on the BARF diet - Biologically Appropriate Raw Food - devised by Australian vet, Dr Ian Billinghurst. He bases it on the diet that wild dogs get whilst hunting - they don't have stoves, so they don't get cooked food. Potatoes and the cabbage family are also not recommended for animals. My dogs have been on this diet for at least 4 years now, they are very healthy and very seldom need Veterinary attention. I also feed them raw chicken necks - raw meat is tough and the bones are soft - we cook the meat, which makes the meat soft and the bones hard.

Cooking bones can make them brittle and cause problems. Which part of the chicken neck do you feed uncooked? You mentioned above that you don't feed the dogs cooked food.

2
Posted by: Joni | 2007/04/25

BARF is just that Biologically Appropriate RAW Food, which means RAW, I feed just a plain RAW diet. Cooking meat changes the whole chemical make up and affects the dogs ability to digest the meat and bones and not just that cooked bones can splinter and cause internal perforations.

If you're going to feed veg and starch rather pound (using a pestle and mortar) or puree and feed raw. Sweet potato is a very commonly used carb and most BARF feeders I chat to use it a lot & I do agree about staying away from cabbage and remember to not feed onions or garlic.

What other meats do you feed? Do you feed fish & raw eggs too??

Reply to Joni
Posted by: WR | 2007/04/25

By cooking the meat, you are destoying some of the nutrients that (according to BARF - aka Bones And Raw Food) are only available in RAW food and important for your dogs' health and well-being. By cooking the neat you aren't (technically) on the right BARF track. Some cooked veggies are absorbed more easily by dogs than raw veggies. Cooked (harder) bones are dangerous for your dogs as they splinter easier that raw bones.

Reply to WR