Question
Posted by: Fedup | 2006/04/04

Also posted on Annex, but some advice needed

What do you do if you get to a point in your life where you feel as if you cannot cope anymore? Your wife looks at you but don't see you. Your kids that you've raised with good morals come home drunk. Your business decisions always seem to be the wrong ones. You start doubting the existence of God.
What do you do if you keep on getting the urge to put a gun to your head and blow your brains out?

marriage counselling can really help so much when things are going sour in a relatonship, and personal counselling can help you to identify your vulnerabilities and increase your coping skills. But it sounds overall, as if you have, perhaps due to the summation of all these worries, become significantly Depressed, a wretched condition in which thoughts of suicde are common. But it is highly treatable, and you coyuld be feeling a great deal better than this. You need to see a good local psychiatrist for a full assessment, and then a discussion of your treatment options, which may include medication and CBT style counselling.
As whattodo suggests, you could call Lifeline ( number on this page ) to start the process of talking about this, and making better plans fir the future.
Then you ask "Is it really that horrific to take your life?". yes it is. You assume that it would render you free from any further possible pain --- that's a guess on your part. Are you really certain you might not be wrong about that ? How long will people hurt about you ? Decades, perhaps ? Spouses, and kids especially, can be haunted by such loss, as can friends. And instead of setting your kids an example of how dad manmaged to re-learn to cope, and handled a serious illness with courage, and overcame it, you'd teach them the lesson that if things get tough --- give up. Is that the legacy you really would want to leave behind you ?
See a good local shrink / doc, for assessment, and start getting this properly treated.

5
Posted by: Carlos | 2006/04/04

Don't blame yourself for your kids turning out this way as I have heard that you can end up with awful children even if you did your best to raise them. Try and appreciated your life. I know someone terminally ill who would love to just be well for one day like she used to be so appreciate the basic things like your health. Don't give up!

Reply to Carlos
Posted by: Naughty | 2006/04/04

Firstly spice up ur marriage and trust me your wife will see you. Secoundly you were once a kid (teenager) yourself, we all go through the phases, its part of growing up.
Thirdly would you want your wife to be sad and lonely, your children to take things to far because Dad couldnt cope.
Sit and look at what you have and remember its not what we do correctly or incorrectly in life,its what we around us.

Reply to Naughty
Posted by: Fedup | 2006/04/04

Is it really that horrific to take your life? When I am gone I will not experience any pain left behind. How long will people hurt over me? 1 day, 1 week, and then I'm a memory and life carries on for those left behind.

Reply to Fedup
Posted by: Mel | 2006/04/04

Just surround yourself by positive people- take a break for a while adn go away but please dont do it. You worth more than you could imagine. God there are lot of people who love you. Take sometime off- when you get back you will be fine. I have been to that situation believe me.!!!

Reply to Mel
Posted by: whattodo | 2006/04/04

Don't do it!!! It's not worth it!!! Life is good and worth living to the fullest. Seek professional help. Start by calling lifeline and take it from there. You have many reasons to smile you just can't see them now, get help and you will find happiness again, don't do something as horrific as taking your own life.

Reply to whattodo