Question
Posted by: zan | 2007/07/30

Alone

Doc i just want to find out something, is it wrong to want to be alone most of the time? Im asking this becoz i've been like this since i was little and i didnt like interacting with people or even having alot of friends. Im finding now that im an adult (22yrs) that im even withdrawing more from people and i dont like being around them. I dont feel bad about it coz im not doing anything to anyone but tell me "is there something wrong with me, that can be put into medical terms?
Your responce would be greatly appreciated.

Its not particularly wrong at all. The issue a shrink would look at isn't whether you enjoy your own company and are happy to be alone, but rather the issue of whether you have a free choice. People with varieties of social phobia go beyond simply not enjoying the company of others, but fear social settings and feel very anxious and uncomfortable in the company of others --- that deserves treatment, perhaps with CBT counselling and with medication, would enable you to have the freedom to choose when you'd like to be with others and when not. So in the end, it's about regaining freedom to choose