Question
Posted by: Zel | 2007/04/19

Almost no amniotic fluid

Doctor. I have a serious problem. I am 19 weeks pregnant. I have been refered to my gynae to a specialist who told me yesterday that my amniotic fluid is between 3-4cm which is a huge concern. Her reports showed that everything else seems and looks normal though. I was refered to Tygerberg Hospital (next week Monday) to see a group of specialists there - a whole team that will work with me intesively to see what the problem is as both my last two visists to the specialist they could not do an amnio. There is a reason for the low amniotic fluid, probably the kidneys, but we aint certain yet. I have to wait till Monday while feeling the baby kick until then. The sonar showed my baby laying in a "jack-knive" position because of the low fluid and limited space. I know all about why he needs the fluid, for development of his lungs and limbs etc. I have read about an amioinfusion, is it possible now? Doc said I have to prepare for the worst as my baby's space is so limited, his organs will shut down one by one and eventually his heart will stop beating as he cant grow.

What is the change of my baby making it? This is my first pregnancy.

It really depends on the cause. Low amniotic fluid could be due to breaking of the waters, a kidney probelm in the baby or poor functioning of the placenta.The latter two have a poor outcome. You should really wait for the assessment of the specialist to decide on treatment.