Question
Posted by: concerned | 2006/07/25

almost 4yr old - lots of nightmares

Hi there CS,

My son will be 4 in oct. he often has lots of nightmares where he looks absolutely terrorised. He has these at least twice a week. he is generally happy. very mature for his age. intelligent. nightmares are scary to me. he remembers he has bad dreams but does not elaborate on them. recently became big bro. to 4 month old. totally in love with lil bro. no jealousy. rather protective. wont sleep alone. goes to school full time 3x a week. does swimming lessons. Very active. loves super heroes.
Are these night mares based on truth or active imagination? He dreamt he was trying to save me from a bus the other day - although , while he was dreaming he was holding his penis and calling his daddy and me and sayung they touching me! i tell him often that his penis is not to be touched by anyone but himself. i was molested as a child once. i do emphasise to him to protect himself. Could i be the cause of his nightmares? should i take him to an OT? Am i creating what i fear in his dreams?

Thank you !

Kids may get either nightmares ( where they tend to remember some of the content ) or night terrors ( in which they generally don't remember any content, and simply wake terrified ). This matter, though, of holding his penis and saying "they're touching me" sounds very suspicious of the possibility that he is being abused. Don't dream of taking him to an OT, as they haven't the slightest ability to conduct the proper assessment or make a proper diagnosis --- take him to see a good local child psychiatrist or child psychologist, for a proper assessment, and advice on treatment based on whatever might be found

2
Posted by: concerned | 2006/07/25

Please could you recommend a reputable psychiatrist in gauteng . I live in bedfordview.

Reply to concerned
Posted by: Ans | 2006/07/25

This child of your was or is being truamitise by things happening to him.It souns that he is also being abused by someone,you must get him to tell you about it.

Reply to Ans