Question
Posted by: Jan | 2008/01/31

Allodynia from PHN

I'm suffering from PHN after shingles. The slightest cool breeze or fabric touching my face starts a course of pain that feels like my face has been dipped into freezing cold water and then is replaced by a burning that is indescribable. Is this Allodynia? How long does it last? Is there any way to lessen the terrible pain? I'm presently taking Ultram ER100 mg during the day and Gabapentin 300 mg at night before bed. The pain is still unbearable.
Thank you.

Hallo Jan
No this is not allodynia, but rather due to the nerve being damaged by the virus infection. It usually gets better with time.
Tricyclic antidepressants may help by lifting your pain threshold. Capsicum cream topically helps by stimulating certain chemicals in the skin ( ask your pharmacy - it is freely available). Just don’t get the cream in your eyes or rub your eyes before washing your hands well!
Also try taking Vit B complex supplements.