Question
Posted by: ITCHY PET OWNER | 2007/12/05

ALLERGY TO PETS

HI,
I'VE GOT SKIN RASHES, AN EYE INFECTION AND SLIGHT ASTHMA. I THINK IT IS DUE TO MY PET RABBIT AND A PET CAT (ALTHOUGH IT IS NOT ALL CATS THAT I AM ALLERGIC TO). THE SKIN RASH I'VE GOT FOR LONGER THAN A MONTH (I'VE GOT THE RABBIT FOR 3.5 MONTHS NOW). INITIALLY I HAD NO ALLERGIC REACTION TO HIM THEN SUDDENLY I DID. I THINK I ALSO SUFFER FROM HAYFEVER AS WELL. I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED SYMPTOMS LIKE THIS BEFORE I GOT THE RABBIT, SO I THINK IT IS DUE TO HIM. SOMEONE SUGGESTED ANTI-HISTAMINES BUT I DON'T WANT TO SPEND THE REST OF MY LIFE TAKING IT. IS THERE ANY OTHER CURE INSTEAD OF GETTING RID OF THE RABBIT? WHAT MAKES THIS ALLERGY WORSE IS THAT SOMEDAY I WILL BE A VETERINARIAN. PLEASE HELP.

Dear Itchy pet owner
Join the club! I am also allergic to my cats and dogs - but I think one develops a tolerance to them after a while! I take a long acting antihistamine (loratidine) and spersallerg eye drops as needed, if and when I have symptoms. Ask your doctor to check your IGE levels and maybe send you for allergy tests. If you get severe asthma you may have to take preventative medication daily or avoid animals...