Question
Posted by: reines | 2007/05/21

Allergy testing

Hi guys

I think it is because of frustration that I've decided to feed them home cook food since nothing else seems to be working anymore.
They have had skin allergies since they were puppies, they've been on Allergex, Cortisones, Royal Canin for Allergic skins and Eco-Vet range but everything seems to be okay for 3 weeks and then the constant scratching starts again, not even the Cortisones and Allergex seems to be working anymore. It is almost as if their body is getting immune to it.. My male boston terrier was a week ago diagnosed with cancer, I had his skin tumor removed, however still waiting for results from the Oncologist since he was tested positively for benign and malignant. He is only 2 years old, therefore I'm not sure whether this could have been caused by either his allergies or is this a side-effect of cortisones?
I recently moved to a new house, (a month ago) strange thing is that for 3 weeks they did not even scratch one, which is why my first thoughts were that there must have been something in the grass that they were allergic to?
I was so relief thinking it is definitely not a food allergy, but the scratching came back again about a week ago. So my next step will probably be to either try the K9. Does anyone know whether it will be worth sending them to Onderstepoort for some testing?
I know it is expensive to do all the test, but I'm hoping it will be worth it in the long run.

Please have your dogs examined by a specialist vet either at Onderstepoort or one of the private vet clinics manned by a specialist. They should be able to get to the cause of the problem and then treat the dogs accordingly. How often are you treating for fleas and what are you using?

2
Posted by: sussie | 2007/05/22

i know your struggle! could have been me writng your letter a few years ago. sussie was a bundle of eating muscle because of all the steroids and cortisone. i give my jack russel pasta, ostrich mince and eggs-all cooked together. got advise from a homeopathic after testing her hair-tissue salts for skin irritations twice a day, depending how itchy she is. hope it works for you!!

Reply to sussie
Posted by: Liss | 2007/05/21

Hi.,
I had a lab who had alleriges, unfortunately we had to put him to sleep because he too developed cancer.,and we tried all we could for him but nothing worked. anyway, we had him on vets choice sensitive, and it did help alot. he did get problems with his ears still but we just got drops that helped.
we didnt keep him on cortisone for long because i can cause liver damage but that helped for a little while too.

my vet suggested that we do tests - to see if it was certain foods or not. which we did. but even feeding him rice and chicken for a bit didnt help, just that dog food (with no meat)

i hear that the blood tests they do are really helpful to find out if they are allergic to grass ect. but my vet told me they send the blood to america? thats whay it costs R1000 or more.
i'd go for the test, just to rule out as much as possible.,if my baby was still alive i would let them do it now!

hope you get sorted
:-)

Reply to Liss