Question
Posted by: ALLERGY | 2008/06/14

ALLERGY OF THREE YEAR OLD DAUGHTER

Dear Doc
My daughter, Emily just started with an allergy at 3 years old.
Wheat, Cow's milk, Fish, Eggs and Peanuts.
No dietitian in this town, could you help me with some tips or info.
Using Soya Milk, Drinks it easily, not good on the vegetable department.
Thank you.
Lana

Dear Allergy
It is really tricky to recommend a diet for a growing child who is allergic to so many foods. I can only recommend that you click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Food-related diseases' to read the articles on milk, wheat and peanut allergy. Also visit the SA Allergy Association Website at: www.allallergy.co.za . For recipes that avoid the offending foods, you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za . I would still urge you to make a plan to consult a dietitian when next you visit one of the larger centres (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you through this difficult period while you need to adjust to providing a diet that is free of wheat, milk, fish, eggs, and peanuts for Emily which still ensure normal growth.