Question
Posted by: Aria | 2006/11/09

Allergy mystery

Hello Doctor

Please can you shed some light on my dilemna.

I suspect I have an allergy - a month ago I broke out in terrible hives following a take away meal of fish and chips . In the weeks that followed I have had similar reactions after eating eggs , vegetables, soya et al. I have been for three blood tests and my GP discovered that my IGG is extremely high (522) and that I am not allergic to pollen, fish, shellfish, egg yolk, egg white, wheat and about nine common allergens.

I'm at a loss because I have now had a continuous breakout of the horible hives for the past nine days . I have used antihistamines and Stopitch cream but the problem persists.

Can you advise me on the way forward.

Also, the fact that the igg is high - does this definitely mean I have an allergy?

Thank you for your asssitance

Dear Aria
high IGE usually signifies an allergy. You may be allergic or the reaction may have been triggered by the preservatives or spices in the salt on the chips - Try taking a short course of cortisone - Medrol 4 mg per day for 5 days - you will need a prescription from your GP.