Question
Posted by: Fruit Juice | 2004/02/05

Allergy in baby

my baby of 6 months has a dry irritating cough after drinking some baby purity fruit juices namely the pear and prune variety, it says on the box it need not be diluted but i dilute it half parts with water as it is the water we are trying to make her drink more than the juice, do u think she is allergic to the fruit juice? if so does this mean we cannot give her the fresh fruit either? what do i do to get her to drink plain cooled boiled water without having to add the fruit juice to sweeten it? she is on Infasoy two bottles a day and the rest of the day she has breast milk so i do not know how important water in the diet is at this age of 6 months?

FJ, I doubt that she is allergic to the fruit juice, but I suppose it’s possible. The best would be to give her just water for two weeks and see what happens. If it clears up, slowly reintroduce the fruit juice and if the coughing returns, it is due to the juice, this will mean she is allergic to the specific juice and not necessarily to all other juices and fruits. If it doesn’t clear up, the best would be to see your doctor. Good luck.