Question
Posted by: Agro | 2006/11/11

Allergy/ Cold

About 2 weeks ago I ate a peppermint that contains phenylalanine...almost immediately afterwards I started to cough persistantly (like having to clear my throat sort of cough) for the rest of the day. I eventually went to a doc after 7 hours of this persistant throat clearing, he gave me cortisone and antihistamine tablets. Its now 2 weeks later and I still have the same symptoms, I am wondering, was it an allergy or do I actually have a cold? How can I tell the difference? I did not have any rash or itching after the peppermint. I am using Pholocodiene cough syrup which seems to suppress the 'coughing' for a time but it comes back daily. Its like a post nasal drip and I have to constantly clear my throat of the phlegm. The 'phlegm' is clear. My nose has been running a lot. I've had non-allergic rhinitis in the past (vasomotor rhinitis) but these symptoms I have now are something new....
THanks doc!

Dear Agro
I don't think the peppermint could have caused the chronic cough unless you choked and a small piece ended up in an airway? The post nasal drip can cause the coughing - try a long acting antihistamine like Loratidine and Beconase Aqeous nose spray twice a day ?