Question
Posted by: Sophie | 2008/06/20

Allergy?

I eat well, exercise and drink plenty of water.
I get about 7/8 hours of sleep each night.
My iron levels are perfect and I take vitamins.
However after I eat lunch particularly if I have peanut butter sandwiches I feel utterly exhausted so exhausted that its an effort to keep awake, even stringing a sentence together is a huge effort!
I was wondering if I perhaps had a peanut butter allergy??? Although I do not have any of the serious symptoms peanuts cause?
I am very particular what I eat so the peanut butter is organic and the bread is low GI with nuts etc.
After I have eaten its like I have been hit by a break wall
help

Dear Sophie
My first reaction would be to suggest that you may suffer from hypoglycaemia or other insulin-related problems, but you say that you eat low-GI bread with nuts. In addition, peanut butter is a low-GI food, so these foods should not give you a hypoglycaemic reaction. It is possible that you may suffer from a food allergy, if your symptoms primarily occur when you eat peanut butter with bread. I would recommend that you consult an allergologist (medical dr who specialises in allergies). Visit the Website of the SA Allergy Association at: www.allallergy.co.za . You can contact the Allergy Association to find out which dr you can see in your area. If you are allergic to one or other component of your lunches, then we can see what foods need to be excluded from your diet.
I do hope you can determine what is causing this feeling of exhaustion after lunch.