Posted by: Help we are desperate | 2009/07/11

Allergies to food

My husband who has suffered for many years and took a lot of paraceamol and disprin, cant take any drugs with that medication in for the last 3 years now. His lips swell or hand swell, comes out in big red patches over the body or the genital area swells up. But all of a sudden when he eats certain foods this also happens. I try and cook as natural as possible but last night he had a piece of chocolate cake (Home Made with choc chips in) and this morn he is swollen again in the genital area and part of the tongue. foods and drinks that has caused allergies are some red wines, fruit juice, instant packet sauces instant pasta (Chicke Mate) cremora coffee creamer some biscuits bought in the bakery section some processed cold meat and bacon bought from pick and pay. We have been to so many Drs, homeopaths the list goes on and on. We had allergy test done at Lancet and the only Allergy that showed up is certain grass and trees mixes. He can eat peatnuts, mixed nuts, long life milk and fresh milk cold meats sometimes and other times it causes an alllergy. What can we do to find out what is causing this problem, he has alot of work meetings with snacks as is always too scared to eat anything in case he starts to swell again. He takes celesamine to stop the swelling but makes him very sleepy and is difficult as he is on the raod alot.

What can we do or who can we go and see. The headaches are under control now as he saw a specialist and his heart beat was too fast and is now taking Inderal.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Help
I am so sorry to hear that you husband is suffering so badly from these severe allergic reactions. Because I believe that he really needs expert advice for his condition, which may now represent what is called "cross-reactivity" (when a patient becomes allergic to one class of substances (the Paracetamol and Disprin) and then goes on to develop allergies to other allergens found in foods, I would recommend that you contact Dr Harris Steinman who is one of the leading Allergologists in South Africa. Contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: to find out more about such allergies and how to contact them in general, and Dr Steinman in particular.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.