Question
Posted by: Gripes | 2007/03/18

Allergies, intolerance or IBS

I have suffered for many years with digestive difficulties. Over recent weeks it is almost constant. Was treated for Helico Pylori 3 times. Diagnosed IBS on various occasiuons. Am going to embark on elimination diet. Is there accurate test for intolerance or allergy?? I know stress plays a part but we cannot escape it. Does my having another autoimmune disease (Sjorgrens) increase my chance of intolerances. My symptoms are loose stools, incresing to diarhoea when stressed, intolerance of anything that is not yellow, Eggs pumkin etc. Meat is okay. Occasional difficulty swallowing and severe pain in left lower ab and sometimes severe chest pain which responds to antacides. Currently on bevispas and zelnorm with good results. Dont want to treat what Icould cure..... Thanks

Dear Gripes
I am so sorry to hear about these distressing symptoms that you have to endure. Because of the complexity of your various conditions, it is very important that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that he/she can do a thorough diet history and then work out a diet for you that takes all the problems into account - this is not something I can do for you over the Internet. To answer your questions: a) It is possible to test relatively accurately for a wide variety of allergies and intolerances - ask your dr to send you for the necessary tests, 2) the fact that you suffer from an autoimmune disease will not increase your chance of intolerances.
Please see a dietitian ASAP