Question
Posted by: ANDRIETHA | 2004/10/21

ALLERGIES - 3 YEAR OLD

My daughter (3 years old) has been diagnosed with the following alllergies: wheat, dairy, sugar, food additives. I want to know what now? What can I give her to take to school for a snack and what else. I am so scared that she will get a calcium or sugar shortage due to the cut out of all sugar/wheat. She takes Nutrimmune and Zyrtec daily. Please help

Dear Andrietha
Because your lassie has such complex allergies I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will work out a diet for her that excludes the offending foods, but still provides her with sufficient nutrients for normal growth and energy. She/he will also assist you with lists of foods that contain the potential allergens as it is difficult to find foods that are free of multiple allergens. In the meanwhile click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Food-related diseases' and read the articles on 'Food allergies'.