Posted by: Joanne | 2010/02/28


Dear Doc
I have just been told that my cholesterol level is high (7.1). I know I need to lose weight and restrict my intake of fats, particularly saturated fat. I have tried numerous diets but always fail as I am highly allergic to raw fruits and vegetables (I vomit violently), and therefore find that I am always hungry as I can no longer fill up on bread, etc.
I have been tested for the allergies and was told by my doctor to avoid eating the fruit and veg or I would go into anaphylatic shock.
Previously I could drink a small amount of fruit juice, but lately as soon as I have even 100ml I end up with terrible diahorrea! I can still eat cooked veg, but the fruits are a problem even when cooked or dried.
Any suggestions you may have would be highly appreciated.
Thank you and kind regards

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Joanne
I am sorry to hear that you suffer from such a severe fruit allergy. If you can eat cooked vegetables without developing an allergy or anaphylactic shock, then you will still be able to eat a well balanced diet which is low in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol. If you are not allergic to bread and cereals, then you can certainly eat plenty of high-fibre grains and cereals as long as you avoid adding excessive quantities of fats to your grains. Because you are struggling with both cholesterol and this severe allergy, I would like to urge you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that she/he can obtain a complete diet history and then work out a diet prescription for you that takes all your individual problems into account (the allergies, the high cholesterol and the weight problem). In the meanwhile click on 'Diet' and 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy Heart' section.
Holding thumbs for you

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.