Question
Posted by: T.D. | 2007/06/06

Allergies

I am at my wits end when it comes to eating healthy. Over the last few years I have become increasingly sensitive to certain foods. It started just after my first child was born when I discovered that I was suddenly alergic to shellfish. Since then I have had reactions to avocado, sweetmelon, watermelon, bananas, grapes, apples, raw carrots, feta cheese, all bran cerial, and every now and then a jar of marmite. The reactions vary from spaced out, tingely fingers and vomiting to just a very itchy throat and ears, needless to say I now avoid these totally as the rection seems to be worse each time I do eat any of them. I avoid citrus fruit as it causes throat iritation.

I try to eat brown bread as often as I can and we eat cooked vegetables every night but other than this I am at a loss as to what to eat to keep healthy. I have endless uncomforable days with a bloated stomach and constipation. I have steadily picked up weight over the past few years and I do realise that it is due to my poor diet.

Breakfast ends up being bread to avoid cerials, lunch is also bread and supper consists of rice/potatoes vegetables and a portion of meat (usually chicken or fish).

Unfortunately my parents were not very health concious so I did not grow up learning how to eat healthy and ended up being very fussy when it comes to food. Please help. What am I supposed to eat?

Dear TD
I am sorry ot hear that you are allergic to so many different foods. Because you suffer from multiple food allergies it is essential that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out a diet for you that avoids the offending foods, but still provides you with all the nutrients you require for good health and to lose some weight. This is not something I can do for you over the Internet as it requires taking a dietary and medical history. In the meanwhile click on click on ‘Diet', and 'Allergy & intolerance' for more information on food allergies. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about allergies.

1
Posted by: John | 2007/06/07

DONT eat bread or anything that contains gluten. This includes oats, rye, corn etc....

Also avoid potato and rice. Stick to low calorie foods like veggies. Meat, fish chicken, egg is ok as well
Avoid milk and yoghurt - stick to hard cheeses

Also cut fruit to only one serving per day - stick to the fruits that have the least sugar. Avoid citrus - these commonly cause allergies

It takes time to sort out allergies but eventually thru persistently following a low carb diet you will start seeing the results

Surf the net under "low calorie diets" and see for yourself. It worked for me and I was a lost case according to the medical guys.

You will have to alter your eating habits radically to achieve the desired results - good luck

Reply to John