Question
Posted by: muffin | 2007/05/08

allergies

thank you for your reply to my post 905 below. my daughter has been tested, she is allergic to house dust mites, she is on allecet to control this, and inflanase. She is also using singulair to control the asthma. She has not been tested for food allergies, should we do this?

She has only had the normal skin prick allergy tests.
She eats a varied diet, but is 3 and can be quite fussy! I will go buy her some omega 3 oils, what doasge should I gve her? I heard flaxseed oil may also be good?

thank you

Dear Muffin
It's a pleasure. Thank you for the feedback. It is evident that your daughter's allergy to house dust mites is being treated adequately and that her asthma is related to this allergy. I would still recommend that you consult a Dermatologist for the eczema, as some children, but not all have certain foods allergies which are related to the eczema. The Dermatologist will help you decide if she requires additional allergy tests and which ones. The skin prick allergy tests would have tested for common food allergies such as milk and wheat. In addition the Dermatologist will prescribe the necessary treatment for her eczema. Flaxseed oil contains a form of omega-3 (ALA) which still has to be converted by the body to the more active forms of DHA and EPA which are found in Salmon oil. Use the dosage as specified on the package of the Salmon oil capsules as this depends on their strength and the age of the patient. Generally speaking a dose of about 300 mg per day of DHA + EPA (combined) should be perfectly adequate for young children.