Question
Posted by: Lindsay | 2008/05/21

Allergic reaction to paracetamol/panado

Please can you give me some information. During my last pregnancy, I reacted to panado in that I broke out in a very itchy rash that subsided after a few hours. My baby is now 2 and a half years old. This year I decided to take 2 panado as I thought this allergic reaction would disappear. I reacted very badly this time, broke out in a rash. I then took an antihistamine tablet, but I was getting worse and whilst my husband was preparing to rush me to a doctor, I passed out. My question is, am i now allergic to panado or paracetamol. I eventually came round and was rushed to hospital where I was discharged a few hours later with no medication being administered.

Dear Lindsay
If it was pure panado - yes you probably are allergic to it - you have to be careful as many pain, sinus and flu medications contain paracetamol ( or other name aminoacetaphen) I think Lancet labs does a specific allergy test for certain medications- ask your GP to find out for you?