Question
Posted by: Fed up | 2003/03/18

Allergic reaction in London

I have been in London for about 9 months. Ever since i arrived in this country i have been allergic to something. My skin has reactions from wearing clothes or showering or just someone touching me. I get welts if i scratch. I went to a dermatologist and he gave me Telfast tablets to take. They are helping to an extent but the symptoms are still there but the itchiness isn't. When i stop taking the tablets i feel like my eyes are puffy and my throat is clammy. I itch from head to toe. Could this possibly be a washing powder problem. I have changed to non-biological powder but i have been told by a friend to change to baby washing powder for sensitive skin. If you have any suggestions i would love to hear them. This is driving me mad and can't see taking anti histamine for 6 months twice a day is good for me. Please help!!!

Fed-up, you’re probably just allergic to the English – I know a lot of people are :-). Seriously though, it sounds like an allergy, but I have no idea what you’re allergic to. Changing to baby washing powder won’t do any harm and neither will taking an anti-histamine twice a day for the rest of your life.
You will have to start taking away one by one everything you started using since your arrival in London. Hopefully you will find out soon what it is. In the meantime you can continue taking the Telfast®. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Jenna | 2003/03/19

Sounds as if you're having a dreadful time. I experience a similar problem about a year ago and was diagnosed with hives - urticaria - which I put down to the use of a new dish washing liquid, because my hands started itching like mad and this spread to the rest of my body, also with weals on scratching.

I was prescribed an antihistimine, but declined to take it and instead got hold of some Nettle tea (you can get it in tea bag form) Nettle being a natural antihistimine and had a cup of this 3 times a day. It definitely helped, not immediately, but could feel the difference after 24 hours. I also appled Aloe vera gel to the weals which helped to soothe it. Chamomile or Calendula cream could also help.

It might be a good idea to pop into a good Health Store in London. There's sure to be someone there who could help.

Good Luck and enjoy London!

Reply to Jenna