Question
Posted by: paul | 2007/06/06

Allergic reaction

Hi doc
Friday last week I went to the docs due to a sharp pain in my left lung I was given an Antibiotic and a strong Paracetamol based painkiller I took the reccomended dosage and that night I had a terrible itching over my whole body especially in my face and then extreme dryness of the mouth to which no amount of drinking would stop I had palputations and a fast heartbeat together with cold sweats to my feet. and I couldnt pee it has taken 3 days for me to start to pee normally again.My question is in your opinion could this reaction be due to the antibiotic or the paracetamol. I have never before had any reaction to medication and I was never allergic to penacillin.Is there a test I can take to distinguish between the two so that I know which one did this to me?

Dear Paul
What kind of antibiotic did you use? It may have been something totally different to penicillen. This does not sound like a paracetamol allergy as this mostly causes a skin rash.