Question
Posted by: Ling | 2005/05/23

Allergic Reaction!!!

I've recently discovered that when I take antihystamines that i've always taken for years, I break out in red spots under my skin on my entire body. It's itches emmensly and I want to scratch my skin off. Honestly, my skin crawls for a good 4 days and I cannot do anything except stay at home and scratch or lay with an ice pack on myself.

It occurred with Degoran and Atifed on separate occassions and I just can't understand? I've taken these tablets for years now. HELP. What do I do? Am I allergic and how do I find out what I'm allergic to?

Expert ImagePharmacist

It seems as if you have developed a drug allergy. The most common symptoms are itching, redness, swelling of the skin, welts, etc. Most symptoms should disappear in 3 to 5 days after stopping the drug. Drug allergies occur when your immune system recognizes a drug as a foreign substance and tries to protect you from it.
The offending medication should be avoided in future if possible. Should it however return again I'd recommend contacting your doc to determine what the cause of your allergic reaction is.

1
Posted by: Ling | 2005/05/23

Can you recommend an allergist in the Cape Town area as I would like to know for future reference exactly what it is that I should avoid.

Many thanks for the prompt response.
XXX
Ling

Reply to Ling