Question
Posted by: Mindful | 2004/10/22

All in the mind?

Hi CS,

I went to my GP yesterday for an insect bite that looked as though it was getting worse rather than better. Anyway, before the consultation was over she asked if she could talk to me. I went to sit at her table, and she said that she could tell by my breathing, body language and physical appearance (apparently I look tired) that something is not right. I told her that I'd been a little anxious lately and she started asking me random questions, and come to the conclusion that I'm suffering from depression or could be leading to depression. She also wants me to have blood tests taken for my thryroid gland - I don't know what that is for.
She's given me some literature to read on depression (most of which I've read on this site).
Anyway, is it possible that when I read the symptoms on this site, that I started picking them up in my mind (sort of like a hypochondriac?)... or am I in huge denial? Can a doctor really tell something like that from the way I breath and look? My psychologist didn't mention a thing about anything like that...

Sounds all worth checking out, and a thoughtful and caring GP. YOu don't sound especially hypochondriac, and there are loads of other symptoms discussed on this site which you don't seem to have "adopted". Remember that while we most easily recognize Depression where the sadness and tears are very noticeable, it can also arise with mainly the physical symptoms, and the sadness less prominent.
She might be interested in your Thyroid function, because an underactive thyroid both makes one sluggish and lead to a general physical slow-down that can look mighty like depression , and it can indeed also foster the development of a Depression. But if it is under-active, one may need to add a soupcon of thyroid hormone tablets, to bring it up to speed.
And a good doctor or shrink will evaluate each person globally, on what they say, how they say it, what they don'[t say, how they walk in to the room, how they move, etc, as many little clues, maybe trivial on their own, can add up to point towards possible origins of their problems.

4
Posted by: Mindful | 2004/10/22

I wasn't feeling tired in the morning...but by 4 I felt as though I could have gone straight to bed!

Reply to Mindful
Posted by: NM | 2004/10/22

But how did you FEEL yesterday...maybe you just LOOKED tired...

Reply to NM
Posted by: Mindful | 2004/10/22

People often tell me that I look stressed, and I don't feel stressed. It's just the GP says that she knows me reasonably well, and she picked up immediately that something was amiss.

Reply to Mindful
Posted by: NM | 2004/10/22

You know, something similiar to this happened to me a while back. I went to the chemist for get some vitamins and the assistant told me that I should rather get some tranquilisers cause it (apparently) looked like I was about to burst in to tears!!! Guess what...the second she said it...I really felt like bursting into tears!!!!

I don't know...maybe it is in our minds...maybe not. I do however know that we all feel (and look) a bit run down this time of the year...

Reply to NM