Posted by: grannygoose | 2008/10/12

alergic to husband' s semen?

We have been married for 30 years and in the last 10 -5 years I have avoided sex like the plague because of the stench for the next 48 hours and the inevitable bladder infection that goes with it.
We had a very active and good sex life before, but once I entered the peri-menopause and then full menopause I developed hundreds of allergies and I fear that one of them is to my husband' s body fluids. I cannot bear the smell of his breath and can therefore no longer kiss him ... everyone else says they can' t smell a thing ... and after sex I am in so much pain in my lower back and go to the loo millions of times a day with maybe 5 drops which incidentally smell really bad.
Can you maybe shed some llight on this?

It seems that you have developed an abnormal sense of smell. You are not allergic to your husband's body fluids. The pain with sex is probably related to vaginal dryness, common in the menopause. It can be helped by using oestrogen cream. Semen does have a partcular smell, which many women find quite pungent. This is, however, normal. Also remember that after the menopause, libido tends to drop, contributing to the reluctance to have sex.

Posted by: Mal | 2008/10/13

I also seem to have a similar problem. I' m 56 and been married over 30 yrs. Over the past 5 or more years I have been making all kinds of excuses to not have full intercourse with my husband. Reason is the smell afterwards which I can' t seem to get rid of no matter how carefully I wash my genital area. I have been using Hyper -allergenic Special Baby Shampoo in place of soap. If he uses a condom it actually makes the problem worse and feels so uncomfortable during intercourse. For days after intercourse I actually feel as though something inside me has been displaced and putting extra pressure on my bladder. Sometimes I lose control of my bladder which makes the odour even worse.

Unlike Cheryl though I don' t detect any unusual smells coming from my husband, only from myself and from my underwear after a couple of hours.
I am so embarrassed by this and as we have just moved to the Durban area recently I do not know any doctors who I would feel comfortable in discussing this problem with.

Is there something I could use from over the counter rather?
I do hope you can help me as well as Cheryl.

Reply to Mal