Question
Posted by: Mona | 2007/02/20

Alcohol`s affect on performance

I cycle 5 days per week and are fit and healthy. I want to know if having a few glasses of alcoholic drinks (beer, wine etc) will influence my performance the next day? How much alcohol can I have per week, without it affecting my fittness?

Thanx
Mona

Hi Mona

A glass or two is fine, but the problem is that "a few" is probably too many! So it all depends. There is basically no effect at all if you have maybe one 'serving' a night - a beer, a glass of wine, a tot etc. But more than this starts to become a problem, not so much on fitness, but on fluid status (because alcohol increases fluid loss) and on weight, because there are surprisingly high amounts of calories and the problems is that they get stored so easily as fat. So i would not drink more than about one or two servings maximum. As with most things, everything in moderation is the key.