Question
Posted by: pp | 2005/07/20

alcohol testing at work

I work at a refinery and every morning when we enter work we have to blow into a device to test for alcohol , I tested positive and had to blow into a second machine this time it made a printout No1 read 0,138 No2 0,145 No 3 0,143 I then told the security that the machine was faulty , all that they said was that I had to go home for the day . Normaly one has a disciplinary hearing the next day , I still have not had one .On the security statement it said that my eyes were clear , pupils were normal , walk was steady , speech was normal , coordination and movements normal , I did smell of alcohol , that was the only negative factor . My question is with that ammount of alcohol in my system I should have been falling around . the limit on site is as per company rules 0.02 % . I think that the machine was faulty and that I should be paid for the day . In your opinion with that ammount ( 0,143 ) how would a normal person be reacting , thanks for answering this .

PP, it depends on the person, but most people would be visibly intoxicated. They should have followed up their reading with a blood test if they want to make a legal case of it. Good luck.