Posted by: no regular | 2008/10/02

alcohol problems

I need advise asap. My husband lost his job a few months ago and is really struggling to get another one. Problem is, he' s resorted to alcohol. He realises that it' s a problem, but doesn' t really want to stop. It' s ruined our relationship as well as that with the kids and even God. It also means that he' s not spending too much time searching for a job(when he' s drunk). Our youngest is a month, so I' m also at home. Luckily we have a wonderful family who basically takes care of us now. But for how long? His parents were both alcoholics, so I think it' s comes from growing up. I' ve spoken to him about this several times and it' ll go well for a couple of days and then back to the old routine. I don' t want to leave him, because he is a wonderful person and I love him very much. But I' m at my witt' s end? What to do?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Does he not want to stop ? Or does he not think he can stop ? Of course at the price of alcohol, it depletes funds as well as capability. And nobody hires a drunk, not even another drunk. With both parents alcoholics he will have inherited a vulnerability for this, but it was and is still not inevitable, though that might be how he sees it. If he says he realizes this is a problem, can't he be persuaded to see a rehab clinic or shrink, and also to join AA ? He need not at first admit he is an alcoholic, just that he has a problemn with alcohol, which also causes problems for those he loves, and needs to learn to control this

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Lin | 2008/10/02

He has to realise he has a serious problem - especially because it " runs in the family"  - he' s at a higher risk.
Ask him to go and see a counsellor - and couples counselling will do your marriage good too.
If he doesn' t go, leave and take the children - they don' t need to be exposed to this.

Reply to Lin

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.