Question
Posted by: Mindful | 2007/08/09

Alcohol - Problem?

Hi CS, I hope you're doing well?

Lately I've noticed that I've been having severe (such a harsh word) reaction to alcohol any time I have it. Because I don't consume alcohol often, I thought that maybe that was the reason, but I'm starting to worrry. When I say not often, I mean having a drink or more once every 2 weeks.

This week has been more than usual, but my reaction has been consistent for perhaps the past five times.

I used to abuse alcohol to help me sleep, and "make me feel better" when all it actually did was make my moods worse.

When I prescribed anti depressants, I completely stopped taking alcohol. I've been off the meds for a year, and have been fine until recently.

I don't like the taste of alcohol at all, and don't use it as a coping mechanism anymore. The past 5 times that I can remember taking alcohol were under social conditions, have included me ending up with my head in the toilet and feeling terrible for days on end. I don't understand, because I don't think I've abused it, but yet, the outcome is the same. The only connection I can make is that I had a huge meal each time. It happened this evening again - I went for a late lunch with my friends, and after our huge meal, we'd had 2 glasses - they had three, but I was already battling to finish number 2 - of wine. So in total it was 3, beacuse I'd had one before, and it lasted during the meal.

In all the recent cases, the situation is similar regarding the drink(s), a huge meal, and I end up being sick sometime during the evening.

I'm scared that perhaps I'm overdoing it, and denying it to myself...but I don't think I am. I know there was a time that I did, and I know I can't stand the taste of alcohol, so would not abuse it intentionally (I think?)

Do you think there is a problem?

Well, for a start, whatever the reason for this alcohol intolerance, obviously the first step is simply to avoid alcohol from now on. A huge meal, depending on the contents, could in itself make one feel queasy. Antidepressants don't combine well with alcohol, and tend to both work less well with such a combo, and to make one far more drunk than usual --- but if you have been off Ads for a year or so, they shouldn't be having any relevant impact here. You are describing a problem, whatever the asue, and a degree of Alcohol intolerance that, as Joey points out, will fortunately make it far easier for you to abstain, and wise to do so

5
Posted by: Pikkels | 2008/02/05

I would like more information on assisting someone who admitted for excessive alcohol usage please.

Reply to Pikkels
Posted by: Think (trust) | 2007/08/12

Hallo Mindful,

I hope you are reading this.

You had a serious problem before and you got rid of it. And now you are feeling guilty because you had a couple of drinks (now and then) lately.

Now you are worried that you are going to have the same problem as you had before. Because it affected your life before. You are afraid you are going to loose that you lost at "THAT" time.

You feel life is so boring!! And if you can't drink what else is out there?
(You are feeling guilty)

Everybody has a feeling one way or another.

I have the solution.

Reply to this message if you are serious.

I know exactly how you fell at the moment.

Reply to Think (trust)
Posted by: hope | 2007/08/11

From my own personal experience, if I don't like the taste of something, be it food or drink, I'm going to leave it alone. Since you did take anti=depressants for a time, and abused alcohol before, it could be that you are doing it for some sort of relief, and there fore should seek counseling to deal with your emotions. I know there is a bit of peer pressure in certain social situations to drink, but if it's going to make you sick it's not worth it. I know that I used to drink, then when I became pregnant, I stayed away from it for a while even after the birth. That absence of it made me seem intolerant to it, as I too, tend to be sick when I drink, as I don't do it often. The best thing for you to do if you have overcome an alcohol problem, is to just leave it alone, have a juice or water or soft drink, or anything else. Your health should be priority over your social appearance.

Reply to hope
Posted by: Drink | 2007/08/10

Hi Mindful,

I too had a drinking problem, but started going to AA two and a half years ago, and it is fantastic!! It is a wonderful support group and believe me you need to have support when you decide to give up drinking. You will learn a lot and be able to make sense of it all. I am also bi-polar and find these meeting help with with that too cause you can just go and park off and listen to people talk and feel at one. When you help someone else get off the booze it is such a wonderfull experience too.

Good Luck

Reply to Drink
Posted by: Joey | 2007/08/10

My advice to you would be that, if it has such a horrible effect on you - don't drink it. Take it as a sign. If you did abuse alcohol in the past, perhaps it could happen again - even if its not happening at the moment. Be glad that it causes such a reaction, it makes it much much easier to stop.

Reply to Joey