Question
Posted by: RMC | 2007/03/21

Alcohol during pregnancy

Please help, someone I know is about 4 months pregnant and is drinking alcohol, I know she has been totally drunk during Christmas and other times which would have been early stages. Now she is drinking Amarula and wine - and apparently the doctor said this is fine. I always was told that alcohol in any amount was not a good idea during pregnancy - as it is she is still puffing away.

How dangerous is this for baby? I feel like taking her to a local children's home to show her the FAS kids I have worked with there.

As you have guessed, alcohol is dangerous in pregnancy. More than 5 units a day gives a high chance of FAS, but even less than this can cause problems.

1
Posted by: **** | 2007/03/23

as far as i know, women should not drink while pregnant. maybe she doesn't really care. If you feel it would help, take her to the childrens' home.

Reply to ****