Question
Posted by: Happy Hour | 2005/12/04

Alcohol Dependency

I am an habitual drinker, never during the day, but in the evenings I am unable to stop at one beer and end up drinking 3-5 I am gaining weight because of this which adds to my need to kick the habit. I have read of hynotherapy,but how does one locate where they practice, it does not appear to be a widely advertised area. I do not think that I am the stage where AA is necessary, but I do not want to reach that point. Can you help?

Almoast everyone calling themselves a "hypnotherapst" is a quack, and hypnotherapy alone is NEVER the best treatment for absolutely anything. Only occasionally, when used by a fully trained psychiatrist o psychologist, as PART of a careful treatment plan, may it be helpful.
Someone with only one method ( let alone one with no good evidence of effectiveness ) is like a carpenter with nothing in his tool box but a hammer. To him, everything looks like a nail, and he hits it.
DOn't waste your time or money seeking a hypnotist ; see a good local psychiatrist or psychologist for a proper assessment of the extent of this problem and anyhing possibly related to it, and make a proper effective treatment plan.

3
Posted by: Happy Hour | 2005/12/07

Thanks to Carol, Jay and Cybershrink for the feedback on my problem. I am resolved (and not waiting for New Year Resolutions)!! to address my situation therefore instead of having a drink when I arrive from work, I shall walk the dogs and then do some computer work etc to keep myself occupied, my partner has also added to my concern by admitting that he can see a weight gain to some extent, this has added to my determination to kick this bad habit and to impede any further temptation to fall 'off the wagon'
It will not be easy, but I am strong and am comitted to this cause. May need a little encouragement along the way though!!! Thanx

Reply to Happy Hour
Posted by: JAY | 2005/12/05

Alcoholism is a progressive disease, which means that 3 years from now you may well be a "FULL BLOWN" alcoholic.

According to those in the know, it is also handed down over the generations. You may have had an uncle or grandfather who drank excessively.

More importantly, alcoholism is WHAT happens when you drink, and not necessarily how much. Alcoholics bodies are unable to digest alcohol the way "ordinary" people's bodies digest it.

Do you act out after a couple of drinks? Do you become aggressive or depressed? Do you drink alone at home with no company and no social connotation to the bottle?

These questions will hopefully help you realise whether you're in danger or not. I'm just happy to see that you're at least not avoiding the issue, but rather seeking assistance. Well done.

Just don't leave it at that now...

Reply to JAY
Posted by: carol(me) | 2005/12/04

I drank for 15 years , my father drank all his life , and alchohol eventually led to his liver failing and caused him so much pain that he shot himself out of sheer desperation two weeks ago.

There is only one way to stop , you need to have that inner conviction that you are destroying your life, health and your loved ones. And stop .AA is brilliant and I found them very helpful.

If you really want to stop , do it ... its not easy but it can be done .. i have been dry for 7 years and havent regretted a second of it.

Good Luck

Reply to carol(me)