Question
Posted by: Liz | 2007/03/12

Alcohol = calories

I would like to know, which is more "fattening" between drinking a "Light dry white wine spritzer" or a "Savannah Light" drink? I love both of these drinks, but would also like to cut back on calories because i am trying to lose weight. I try to limit my alcohol intake to weekens only, but sometimes during the week i will have a "spritzer" or "savanna light". Can you please advise which one of the two would be better to use for weight loss.

Dear Liz
The SA Food Tables do not specify the energy content of commercial brands of alcohol. According to the Tables, wines contain about 71 cal per 100 ml, so you can work out how many cal you obtain from the wine depending on the volume you ingest. The Savannah Light is not listed, so I can only hazard a guess that it is also about 70 cal per 100 ml. Let's say you have 1 glass or 250 ml, then the wine would provide about 175 cal which represents 11,7% of your daily energy intake when you want to lose weight (i.e. 1500 cal/day), which is quite high. You can compensate for this extra energy intake by doing regular exercise for 30 min a day.