Question
Posted by: Cinderella | 2008/01/21

ALCOHOL AND MENSTRUATION

Hi Doc. It seems as if my daughter has a craving for alcohol / drinks more just before menstruation. Is this possible? Can it be a hormonal imbalance? I know some people crave chocolate.

She also has a lot of stress and needs psychiatric help desperately, or is she only using the alcohol abuse as an excuse Who is the best person for her to speak to - psychiatrist or gynae? Thanks

All kinds off cravings can occur premenstrually. This is not a hormone imbalance but normal variation in the hormones during the cycle.
She should seee a psychiatrist not a gynaecologist.

1
Posted by: Kasandra | 2008/01/22

PMS can really be a problem, i struggle a lot from depression and mostly feel horrible, the problem alcohol does help releave the tension and worry but like any substance it only leaves tomorrow with a bigger problem - it also drains and dehydrates your body which make pms and periods worse.

I think seeing a good psychiatrist would really help her face up to the underlying problems in her life. Things that help for pms is Calcium, Vitb6andMagnesium and Primrose Oil aswell as excercise. Relaying on alcohol to make one feel beter is never a good idea... Good luck ... I also struggle and know how helpless one can feel

Reply to Kasandra