Posted by: Cindy | 2008/08/23

Dear Doc

I am an occasional drinker (once every week or two weeks). I find that the day after I have been drinking alcohol (4 drinks, not too excessively) I feel so depressed. Everything seems to upset me and I' m really teary the next day.
I' ve been under a huge amount of stress but am usually fine except these days.

It can' t possibly be just a mild hangover. I feel really down.
Any advice?

I agree it sounds more than the usual hangover. You don't mention how much you drink. A couple of glasses of wine every week shopuldn't cause any disturbance. A couple of bottles a week, even if consumed on the same evening, would. So quantity is very relevant, as well as frequency. It could be that your mood is being lowered, anyway, by the stress, but in a sense coping with the stress leads to you ignoring a lower mood or over-riding it ; and when you pause, with the disinhibiting effects of the alcohol, you express and feel the sadness that is around.
The obvious thing to do would be to simply stop drinking, and see how that affects you. You may also want to consider seeing a good local psych for an assessment, so that if there is perhaps a significant Depression lurking around, you can treat it early and effective, perhaps with CBT counselling rather than drugs in the first instance.